Lily, my friend over at Chilling in Nunavut has nominated me for a Liebster award. It’s given to up and coming bloggers that have less than 200 followers. Thank you for the nomination! Note: I don’t think this award actually lives on a page. It’s like a nicer version of a chain letter.
1. Each person posts 11 things about themselves.
2. Answer the questions the nominator made for you and create 10 more questions for the blogs you nominated.
3. Choose nominations and link them to your post.
4. Go to their page and tell them.
Eleven Things about me
1. I learned how to fix things around the house with my dad as a kid. I may not know how to put on eyeliner, but I can name all the screwdriver heads and install laminate flooring.
2. I’m disorganized with everything except my cookbooks. I have a Google spreadsheet where I track my books and the recipes I’ve tried. My bookshelf is organized by category. Need a cookie recipe? Check the cookie section on the bookshelf.
3. I’m learning the ukulele. This teeny instrument gives me so much joy! I love strumming the strings right after it’s been tuned.
4. The height difference between my husband and I is 14″. Random people on the street feel compelled to tell us that there’s a huge height difference between us.
5. The most finicky eater in my household is my dog. He will tire of a food and we will have to coax him to eat it. Like rubbing his back while he eats.
6. I love lounging in pjs. If I don’t have to be anywhere, I will be in pajamas.
7. I’m very shy and self-conscious around people. It takes awhile for me to get comfortable with someone.
8. I have a dry and sarcastic wit and people often have a hard time knowing when I’m joking.
9. I didn’t have a peanut butter and jelly sandwich until I was 28. I thought mixing the two was gross.
10. Before I was hit with the baking bug, knitting was my hobby. My attention span isn’t the best so I still have half finished projects from years and years ago.
11. I always chug a huge glass of water in the morning after I wake up. It’s never sipped.
Here are the questions given by Lily:
1. What is your happiest memory?
Getting married. In true Monica fashion, I put the ring on the wrong finger during vows. My sister yells out “wrong finger!” I tried to remove the ring, but I can’t. I shout back, “I can’t! It’s stuck!” Cue laughter from everybody. It’s a moment I’ll never forget.
2. Who is your greatest role model and why?
I don’t have a role model, but I admire a lot of people. I admire all the food bloggers who have a family, full-time job and still manage to blog regularly and make beautiful things. I’d like to know their secret, but I have a feeling it involves little sleep and a lot of passion and motivation.
3. What tips do you have for someone looking to start blogging?
Tell people about it! When I started this blog five years ago, I was too shy to tell anybody. It wasn’t until a couple of years ago when I started to spread the word about my blog. Once I did that opportunities started opening up for me.
4. Are you where you thought you’d be at this point in your life?
Yes and no. I always pictured myself being married at this point in life, but I never thought I’d move across the country and live somewhere new.
5. What makes you laugh?
A lot of random little things that no one would find funny makes me laugh. I have a weird sense of humour.
6. What’s your “signature” recipe/dish/thing you buy and bring to parties?
I don’t have a “signature” dish because I rarely make the same thing more than once. But I’m known to bring dessert.
7. If you could have any animal in the universe as your pet, what would it be and what would you name it?
If I could have a mythical pet, it’d be a unicorn named Pokey or some crazy variation of it like Stabby. If it had to be an existing animal, I guess a Narwhal? They’re like sea unicorns.
8. If you could have any superhero ability, what would it be and why?
Freeze time so I could get to do more stuff in the day.
9. If you had to karaoke right now, what would you sing?
I can’t sing at all, so I do rap songs. Last song I did was Kanye West’s Gold Digger.
10. You have one day left on earth – what would you eat?
Really good sushi.
The blogs I’ve been reading are pretty well known so I don’t have anyone to nominate. BUT! I would love some new reads. If you have a blog, leave it in the comments section.
And here are my (shortened) list of questions you can answer in the comments:
1. Is there a dish that you always have trouble making?
2. Tell me your kitchen disaster moment.
3. If you could do anything in the world, what would it be?